View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #56
Mick3391
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
Well Mick3391, for an op that you said you thought about deleting after you posted it, it's elicited some pretty good comments, imo. I have to agree with the posters who said that qualified instruction really does help, and for some it's absolutely necessary.

But I also agree with what I take to be your main point(s), in that the key to improvement is work. That is, work without instruction sometimes results in improvement, but instruction without work doesn't.

Hope you're having a great holidays, and if you're ever in my area ... let's hit some tennis balls.
I would love to be in your area, and to hit with you

I think if I made a mistake it's only because I've used anecdotal evidence, that is I started at 12 playing my brother who was 21, and was just never taught, was never injured, and at 14 played starting Varsity, only thing I can remember being taught was in 9th grade my coach told me to hit my serve the second the ball drops, aside from that I just played, no one taught me how to hit any shot, and no I don't think I'm a natural. Maybe when you are a kid it's just easier like it is for kids today on computers.

I like what that one guy said, that you give direction, but not exact technical advice. You know, "Fire to their backhand as much as you can as numbers are on your side" as opposed to "Well run past the ball, stop, place your feet exactly like this, make sure you are holding the racquet just like this, and blah blah", what is taught may not be right for that person.

So I guess all I am saying is that yea generalities are great, but I don't think there is any substitute for playing, for trial and error, I just don't see tennis as a robotic thing that one piece of input can really help.