View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnYandell View Post
Another paradox is that despite it's tremendous complexity all the clear verbal understanding in the world won't get you a better forehand.
I don't think this is a paradox. In fact, to me it makes a lot of sense. Stroke technique is unique and complex. Communicating, in ordinary language, what needs to be done to improve is a challenge that I can appreciate.

Quote:
We would use the video to create actual, precise physical positions with checkpoints which you would master and you would then create internal mental images of them--this creation of kinesthetic feel and mental image is the real key to creating change.
This makes sense to me, and, though technically based, it seems to be in accord with the 'inner tennis' orientation of 'quiet the mind', 'visualize', 'imitate'.

Quote:
Most people need some of the explanation but for others it is simply interesting and fun--or of no interest.
Well, it's certainly interesting. And when it's associated with actual improvements in one's game, then also fun.