View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #31
tennis tom
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLBwell View Post
The gift didn't need to be expensive, she wasn't money driven, just the RIGHT one (of course there was no RIGHT one).

Life advice to all you young guys out there:
Be wary of marrying the daughter of two alcoholics, even if she doesn't have any alcohol problems. For the lost child, there is a hole of not being appreciated and of being ignored in the midst of the family dysfunction. (the other case is the mother-child who becomes the mother, trying to organize the chaos, who must have control)
At the time (just out of college), I didn't know that family dynamics during childhood mattered that much to adult relationships. Now, I ask early on about the family of the women I date. Not that I've bothered to date anyone for a long while.

Chapter 1 of Dr. Laura's book to men about relationships "Ten Stupid Things Men Do to Mess Up Their Lives" is "Stupid Chivalry" -- don't be the White Knight.
There's a lot of wisdom up there that bears repeating, so I copied. Tattoo that on your brains, it'll save you'll a lot of time and money not to mention grief. Always park nose end out, a valise in the trunk and toss the cell phone in the bay after running it over.