View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #61
Mick3391
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisCJC View Post
I am 56 yo and play with a variety of 4.5 females and 4.0-4.5 males. Most of us are between 35-65. Almost all the players 45 and older have had a significant injury from tennis. Several of these players played college level tennis. One of the players was a D1 all-American and he has had multiple knee surgeries. Tennis elbow is the most common, knee ACL and/or meniscus tears, ankle tendinitis, shoulder tendinitis and a variety of stains, pulls and tears are all very common. Most of these players use reasonably good technique and still suffer from over-use type injuries.

I play/practice 4-5 times a week but hard practice/play needs to be balanced with exercise (stretch and strengthen) and rest. Most hard core tennis players do a crappy job of rest because we are all a bit OCD additive about playing and tend to play too much and not rest enough in my view.

Anyhow, I have had 11 days off for the holidays and return to practice today.
Sorry about your injuries.

That's funny though, the OCD part, yea this year I've been hurt, taken pain medicine and just played. Everyone says "You must rest", I just can't, just play though it.

I've NEVER stretched, everyone says to, I guess I'm subburn, but no never stretched, never injured, but time is catching up to me so I better learn to stretch!

My older brother who introduced me to Tennis emailed me from the hospital, just had a new Titanium knee! Said he can play in like a month or so.