View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
zagor
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainad View Post
You really think having to play the likes of Donald Young, Bjorn Phau, Fernando Verdasco and then getting a walkover against Mardy Fish before meeting Tomas Berdych (whom he had already beaten in the final of Madrid) was a tough draw for Federer??
Aside from Fish's withdrawal the first 3-4 rounds were standard opponents for a top player in a slam, nothing out of the ordinary.

However the toughest possible QF opponent for Fed is Berdych and Murray is by far the harder SF opponent compared to Ferrer so yes I'd say Fed had a tough draw at USO this year, the toughest possible for him given the current situation.

For the big 4 it's far more important who they meet in QF and SF than the first 4 rounds anyway so given Nadal's withdrawal on which half Murray lands is obviously going to be a big factor.

That said, more of a factor for Fed IMO because I believe Novak could beat Murray and Fed back-to-back to win AO but I don't think it's feasible for Fed to beat Murray and Novak back-to-back to win AO.

Last edited by zagor : 12-28-2012 at 03:50 PM.
zagor is offline   Reply With Quote