View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #32
Towser83
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainad View Post
Oh lighten up Towser. I credit you with being one of the few posters on here with a sense of humour and an ability to banter. Seems you're not in the mood for this one.

Anyway, joking apart, I genuinely don't think Federer had a particularly tough draw at this year's USO. The early rounds were indeed a joke but then that's pretty much the same for all the top seeds. The later rounds are usually always going to get tougher for everybody. Berdych may have proved a tricky player for Fed in recent years but he normally finds a way to get past him, 2010 Wimby being a rare exception. If anything, Berdych is an even trickier player for Murray to handle while it is an undeniable fact that Fed has been able to handle Murray successfully in all their previous Slam encounters and, as I said, he had already beaten Djokovic at Wimbledon and had a good record against him at the USO even if he did choke away chances to beat him in their last 2 encounters there. Beating him would, of course, have been tough but it was doable for him IMO.
well I apologise for being too serious, must be the mood of today..

I don't think Berdych/Murray/Djokovic is an easy draw for Federer. Like I said at the AO in 2009 Berdych was 2 sets to 0 up on Federer. He then won the next slam meeting and gave Federer loads of trouble in 3 set matches as well, getting a few wins. There was plenty of evidence that Federer could lose to Berdych - his last comfortable win over him in a slam was 2008 (Zagor corrected me). And Berdych beat Fed in the olympics in 2004 after which Fed gave him a lot of praise, and it seems to me it's his consistancy that's the problem. when he's on he can geive Federer hell. You are right that he has given Murray lots of problems too, credit to Murray - he has turned this around this year. Not to make excuses but I feel in windy conditions Fed would have beaten Berdych easily as it stops Berdych from hitting to his maximum potential. Murray and Federer are better players than Berdych though and can adapt much beter.

If Federer had got through beating Berdych, Murray was going to be very confident after the olympic win, beating both Federer and Djokovic and as it turns out he was the man to beat at the USO.

Last edited by Towser83 : 12-28-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Towser83 is offline   Reply With Quote