View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
t135
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis120PlayerA View Post
Hi Everyone,

I a question I'm hoping someone else out there can help me answer. I am a solid 4.0, and I also play on the 4.5 level against many other 4.5 men/women. I can beat many 4.0s and some 4.5s. However, lately for some reason, I have been having issues on my service game. I don't double fault all that often (maybe 2-3 times tops in a match), but when I do, it's sometimes on a game/crucial point. It doesn't always happen every time I play, but it has been happening often lately for some reason. I know I have a strong serve and the people I play against often tell me they have a hard time returning my serve. I have been trying to focus on keeping a fluid motion no matter what, and keeping a consistent toss at 1 o'clock in front of me. Sometimes it will happen when I'm down 30-40 or 15-40. It usually only happens in one game out of the match, but I need to work on something crucial like this. With this exception, the rest of my strokes really keep me in the match. I mix up my shots with a variety of topspin and flat balls. I come in and I'm aggressive when I play. I'm able to get to many balls because I am fast and fit. I don't really feel any pressure when I play, I usually just go for my shots, and I love playing the game. However, I think I do feel some slight tension when I serve (because this issue has been happening lately), but I think I'm not sure if I'm actually trying too hard to focus on crucial points. I don't really feel the nerves as much as I do trying to focus. Has anyone had this happen to them, too? I know I have the correct service motion down, but it tends to be too "jerky" on some points. How can I help my focus to keep a fluid motion regardless?
Rhythm. Focus on rhythm when you serve. At crucial points you just focus on the rhythm. It sets your kind at ease kind of like deep breathing and meditation. Do it during practice and throughout the match.
t135 is offline   Reply With Quote