View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #60
treblings
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyO View Post
Nominally was poor choice of words on my part. Sorry bout that.

I guess what I'm saying is that when we bemoan the lack of American talent we should remember that America is producing fine players who happen to play for other countries (although in Sharapova's case I would argue that she's culturally American rather than Russian...and she clearly prefers living here rather than over there).

That's also a good point about the Spanish School O Tennis. Didn't Murray train there too?

This fall I spoke with some coachs at an ITF juniors event. They said this is a touchy subject in the business. Some folks feel kids from other countries take slots that might otherwise go to Americans since they are willing to pay full cost. Doesn't make sense to me but I'm completely ignorant of the world of up and coming juniors. Talking to parents at the same event it seems like a really tough life given the ultra low probability of success.
as i said, you made a good point about the american system producing champion players. attending u.s colleges on a tennis scholarship is very popular over here in europe as well.