View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #74
Steve0904
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by veroniquem View Post
Have you actually seen Djoko's imitations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYA_7RUSarU

They make me laugh. I don't think they're mean-spirited and some of them are incredibly good. He should definitely NOT have kept it business-like. There is Fed for that. If there is anything special about Djoko, it is precisely that he doesn't seem to be taking himself as seriously as Mr "I'm amazed by me" does. Some people like seriousness and they have a heavy dose of that with other players. Nole brings a much needed note of light-heartedness to the game and I'm very grateful for that.
I like his impressions as well, but I think there came a time for Djokovic where he had to stop in a sense. When he became #1 and had his incredible season, it was kind of like "Ok you're the man now, stop acting like a child." Which he did. Essentially he grew up. A 30 year old Djokovic for example, I don't think he'd look great trying to do impressions again. Don't ask me why, it's just a feeling I have. He created a little niche for himself with the impressions, but when he was #3 in 2007 it was ok because people didn't think he would reach the heights he has, and become a serious rival to Federer and Nadal. He's still a joker though just without the impressions which I can honestly say I've forgotten about even though I liked them.

Then you have his parents. Unfortunately I think they project negatively on him although through no real fault of his own, especially to most people who don't dig deep and find real facts before forming opinions, (and everybody knows there are a lot of those types). He has/had a history of retiring from matches which didn't sit well with people, and then the whole thing with his parents against Federer. "The king is dead..blah blah blah" "Be quiet".

These are just my thoughts.
Steve0904 is offline   Reply With Quote