View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #373
Hitman
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve0904 View Post
Good points. I like your triple threat idea. I just think Cena should beat The Rock at some point at WM because tbh I was a little baffled as to why Rock went over Cena at WM last year from a "business" standpoint if you will. I know he's The Rock and he's great, but I didn't like the fact that the comeback star got put over in favour of the current one. Now the most likely scenario is Cena-Rock II at this WM IMO. Cena hasn't held the title in quite a while because he doesn't need it anymore to maintain his popularity, but Punk being champion for this long has not sat well with me to be frank. He's been secondary for most of it, and he would've been served better with a shorter reign, but the only reason he's had it this long is because there are no developed stars ready to really run with the belt IMHO. At least not for the majority of Punk's reign. But I digress. This is not a wrestling forum after all.
If Cena V Rock II does happen, you can 100% guarantee Cena goes over. They won't have the face of the company lose back to back Manias to the same opponent, who quite simply does not need to be put over, because he is already insanely over no matter what. Punk for me deserves a main event spot at Mania, so a triple threat creates a sense of doubt rather certainity for who is the winner. Yes, he has look a bit secondary, but if you think about it, that is more to do with WWE going back to old booking methods from the 80s. Punk is the Randy Savage to Cena's Hogan, and a lot of this has to do with Vince wanting to keep Cena as the top guy. Its about merchandise. The reason why the belt has been on Punk for so long comes from various thoughts put together. The first being they are trying the old school mentality of not hot swapping the title around so much, so when Punk does lose the title, it can help build a new star if possible. Secondly, they saw what long title reigns have done in TNA recently, so they are trying it themselves. Plus, it is simply something that we have not seen in a while.

Yes, this is a tennis forum, but sometimes MichaelNadal and I catch up on wrestling once in a while.