View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
julian
Hall Of Fame

Default Wilson gut tension loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
From all I read and based on my experience with natural gut there seems to be pretty much universal agreement that gut does not lose its playability until it breaks, unlike multi and poly.

But you tell us about gut becoming a rocket launcher for you before it breaks, like multi and poly. Can you elaborate or explain this for me?

Also, my experiments with all strings tell me that the mains become much tighter as the crosses are added to the string bed. For instance, I strung a hybrid today with Wilson NG 16 at a reference pull of 50 lbs.

After I added the crosses, my tourna string meter indicated the main tension was 65-70 lbs. Quite change. Like 30% or more tighter. I have seen this kind of tension increase with other string meters also.

So if you string your mains with an initial pull of 70 lbs, it seems to me that they may end up well over 80 to 85 lbs after the crosses are added to the string bed. Maybe this explains what is happening to your gut--maybe it is failing from being over tensioned? Especially if you are a heavy hitter.

Something to ponder. And explain if possible.

Harry
Couple of points:
1.I use between 50 and 150 sets of Wilson Gut 17 per year
with Aero Pro Drive 60 pounds gut main/58 gut crosses
2.You need either an ERT300 or an app to get values of tension loss
http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.co...MA-ERT300.html
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=372908
I do NOT use the tourna string meter and I do NOT understand this device
You need a large sample like mine to make some statistical prediction
3.There are three stages corresponding to tension loss
a) 1 hour from the moment the stringing job is done
b) 3 hours
c) 6 hours

4.Your first sentence is NOT exactly correct

5.I do NOT understand hybrids

Last edited by julian : 12-29-2012 at 10:01 AM.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote