View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Raul_SJ
Semi-Pro

Default Achilles Bursitis -- Shoes and Orthotics

Achilles bursitis, also known as retrocalcaneal bursitis, is a common overuse injury in runners, hockey players, football player and many other athletes. Improper shoe gear and too much, too soon, too fast syndrome are usually the cause of this pain in the heel. It can also be seen in non-athletes who wear poor shoe gear or low cut shoes. Often it is seen in people with rigid, high arched feet.

Bursitis is a painful swelling that occurs in the back of the heel just deep to the Achilles tendon insertion on the heel bone. This inflammation makes it painful to squat, lunge or run uphill. Many shoes press on this area and make the pain worse. Even running on uneven or soft surfaces can increase the inflammation.

First line therapy for Achilles bursitis is rest, ice, heel lifts or heel cups and gentle stretching
I have been diagnosed with Achilles Bursitis of the right heel.

There is no issue with the Plantar Fascitis or Achilles Tendonitis -- just inflammation of the bursa at the point where the Achilles tendon inserts into the back of the heel bone.

Should I wear the Dr. Scholl's heel cups?

What type of tennis shoes are best? I have tried tennis shoes with higher heels but don't feel they give any more support. The lower heel shoes feel more comfortable.
Raul_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote