For 2013, I resolve to:
- Play less "organized"/USTA tennis and focus on self-arranged play. I'm, momentarily, tired of the fees, politics and pressure. I will not play in the new 40+ division and will not captain the Combo ladies team I've done for the past 2 years (unless they significantly change the logistics).
- Refocus on doubles play (after spending the past ~18 mos working on my singles game. Not gonna give up entirely on the Singles Adventure but I realize I much more enjoy doubles from both the social and skills perspective. I want to, once again, make myself the person people call when they need a "4th".
- Somehow (not quite sure how)...get my longtime dubs partner up to 4.0 with me. Sure she can (and will) play "up" with me, but there are a few local things we now cannot do together. Besides, she is deserving. She is my "setup man," and her health issues aside from the past 2 years, I'm sure she'd already be a 4.0 with me. She just needs one solid season to push her over the edge.
- Now, from the skillset/toolbox set, I need a serve "out wide." Mostly for that diminishing singles game but a nice variety to have in doubles (if properly scripted with my partner)
- Be even more aggressive on the poach.
- Make my OH feared...so much so, that they won't lob (not that they do it much at 4.0 anyway).
- Finally, find the FUN again in the game. Worry less about the score and concentrate on what's fun (and what's working that day). Carry a 10-spot in my bag to go out for drinks/apps afterwards and make sure childcare can cover that "extra" time.
2013 will be a transition year for me personally. My youngest child will begin Kindergarten in the Fall and that will begin a full week of daytime playing opportunities that I've never had before.
I am thankful the area I live in has plenty of terrific women to play with during the weekday.
I am thankful, at my age, to be able to play, at all.
I am thankful to be....alive!