View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #469
Babolat Official
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I bought a 2013 Apd and will string with Rpm. I am looking for a softer more cushioned feel. I would like to give Rpm a try again. I hit with alot of topspin on both topspin and backhand and have a western grip and one handed backhand, What gauge would you recommend and what tension? Also, what is the advantage of using 16 gauge over 18? All pros useRpm 16 or 17 and not the 18 why is that?
How do you like the new APD?

If you are looking for a softer feel, you probably need to get away from a full poly. Have you tried a hybrid? Gut is really soft, but expensive.

The advantage of 16 is it does not break as fast. I think the thinner strings have more feel...but again, person preference. For example, Rafa uses a 15L.

Tension and gauge is more of a personal preference. My stringer claims the 18 is softer to string with. From personal experience, I can tell you it breaks really fast.

The users above are correct, the 18 breaks too fast (Stosur tried it at a couple events last year and had to go back to the thicker gauge). I've heard of people using it in the crosses in the reverse hybrid,