View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #66
madmanfool
Semi-Pro

I downloaded the insanity workout a few days ago after I stumbled upon it quite by accident. Even though I'm still not sure if I really want to get started with this program, I did the fitness test two days ago and just today did the first workout.

Basically as I get a little older (25 now) I really want to get my tennis up a level. And I'm absolutely convinced that in order to that the best thing to do is get my fitness level up a notch. It started more or less in feb 2012, when I started jogging. At first I struggled to finish a 4 km course, but soon I was running 7-8 km courses at good pace. But after the summer I stopped improving as I hit a plateau (hope that's correct English, sorry if not). And now around oct 2012 I started doing interval running instead. That was an eye opener. Basically I sprint for 200m all out and then I jog 200m and repeat it for as long as I can. Man, started doing that did wonders for my fitness and tennis. I started doing those because I read Federer does a lot of interval sprinting (and is very good at it, no surprise there). At first I thought it was going to be too hard. It is hard as basically you're out of breath the entire time. When you catch your breath, then you're off sprinting again. I love this now. I'm seriously addicted to this. It really has helped to build fast muscle fiber.

As I said I just started the insanity workout. I'm not sure what to do with my interval running. I don't really want to give that up. So I'm not sure if I want to follow the program to the letter. However it's going to be though to incorporate interval running in it.

For some reason I don't understand (maybe it's an early midlife crisis ) I really want to get ultra fit. Train like a pro if you will. That thought has sort of grown over me over the year now. And it get's more intense as time passes by. The insanity looks good. No equipment, lot's of cardio, stretching. Everything looks good. I thought the first workout was doable although I'm not at the level of the people in the DVD's. I would say I'm about at 80-90% of their level. It got though to keep up with them at the last 10 minutes. It just day 1 for me, so I'm assuming it's only going to get thougher from here.

My biggest fear is going to combine these workouts with my daily work. I know I'm going to hate doing these workouts after a long day of work and it's though not missing a workout when there is overtime or something else at work. At the weekend or at the holidays it's fine, I will definitely be motivated but I know I'm not going to like it after work. I guess I will be needing my sleep to stay fresh. I'm horrible at getting out of bed in the morning as I snooze way too long. Maybe this can help me getting out of bed a little easier in the morning.

It's the perfect time to do this for me. Competition doesn't start till May for me, so there is plenty of time. I play tennis 2 times a week now during the winter, but it's ok if my tennis suffers a bit in the moment due to fatigue of the program. The idea is that it'll be worth it in the future. My time at my 8 km course or how long I'll last in my interval running will also be good barameters to see if there's improvement in my fitness. It certainly looks like a good program for me. I'm not looking to bulk up or anything, just get in the best possible shape I can be. Hopefully this will push me to do so. Let me know if there is anybody interested in my progress, then I'll keep you all up to date.

Cheers for reading
thx

Last edited by madmanfool : 12-30-2012 at 02:01 PM.
madmanfool is offline   Reply With Quote