View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #35
tennis tom
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen View Post

...sprained my ankle a little bit.

...It only hurt a little bit so I kept on playing...it was ok the rest of the day.

...The next time I played tennis it was ok too, didn't hurt at all.

...But ever since then it will hurt at weird positions, like when I walk, or run, or just doing casual things and moving my ankle....I think at weird angle it will hurt.
As you've learned don't use jogging shoes for tennis, they don't provide lateral support.

Your ankle doesn't hurt when you play tennis--the answer is obvious, don't do anything but play tennis--problem solved. Whenever it hurts go play tennis.

It doesn't sound like you hurt yourself very badly the first time. I've had severe ankle sprains and everything else in-between, it's not that big a deal. Your body will tell you when it's time to lay off.

It sounds like your mindbody is using your minor injury as a means of distraction from emotional issues when you are not totally absorbed by the great game of tennis. I recommend reading books by Dr. John E. Sarno, MD, if you're interested in learning more about this fascinating topic. It will help you overcome a lot of minor aches, and pains before they become chronic. The good doctor has helped me a lot in that regard.

If you get a severe ankle sprain and need to keep playing, use trainer's tape. This is what is done for a sprained ankle in pro-sports every time, as you can see on TV. For support for your other activities, use a Koban type of Ace Bandage, it'll give you enough support for the activities you mentioned outside of tennis.

G'luck

Last edited by tennis tom : 12-30-2012 at 06:14 PM.
tennis tom is offline   Reply With Quote