View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #48
Jack the Hack
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetrain4 View Post
Wouldn't it be Agassi? Wasn't he out for six months at some point, and then he packed in all those Slams in the latter half of his career.

Serena's been out for months at a time several times, but was it ever six months? I remember her coming into 2008 or 2009 AO really out of shape and having been out for a while and winning and then regrouping and winning more Slams in the ensuing years. But, I don't think she was off for six months.

Seles of course, was out from Spring of 1993 to the summer of 1995 after the horrific stabbing, and came back and immediately won a Tier 1 and made the USO final, then won the 1996 AO, and also made the 1996 USO and 1998 FO finals, and also had a lot of other "good" Slam performances (QFs or better) thereafter, though she obviously never returned to pre-stabbing form.
Serena Williams has been off the tour for 6 months or more three times, and made comebacks.
  • First, after winning Wimbledon in 2003, she injured her knee in practice and required surgery, causing her to miss the remainder of the year. During this absence, her sister Yetunde was murdered, which was an emotional hurdle as well. Williams didn't return to the tour until the end of March, 2004, where she won the Miami tournament. She was out for 8 months total.
  • Second, Williams was off the tour from mid-January to mid-July 2006 as well (a 6 month layoff) due to reoccurring knee and back injuries, related to the issues she had in 2003 that caused the first surgery.
  • Third, Serena was out of competition from July 2010 until mid-June 2011, almost a full year. She injured her foot in a bizarre accident at a restaurant after Wimbledon where she lacerated a tendon stepping on a broken wine glass, which required surgery and caused her to miss the rest of the year. Then, while still recovering from surgery, she ended up having a pulmonary embolism in her lung in March of 2011. She didn't return to the tour until the Eastbourne tournament, as a warm-up for the 2011 Wimbledon, where she was the defending champion. She ended up losing that year to Bartoli in the round of 16. However, as we all know, she went on to make the US Open final later that summer, and then won both Wimbledon and the US Open this year.
As you pointed out, Serena has also had shorter absences from tour due to other injuries and motivational issues. I'm not a fan of hers, but I have to respect the resiliency with these comebacks. Nobody on the men's tour has ever been able to do what she's done in this regard.

Last edited by Jack the Hack : 01-01-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Jack the Hack is offline   Reply With Quote