View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #100
davedomart
Semi-Pro

Thumbs up Nice string for heavy spinners.

Gauge of playtest string: I received the 16.

Tension used for playtest: 56 LBS.

Regular string set up: Pro Supex Big Ace 16 @ 56 LBS.

Racquet brand and model used for test: Wilson K Six One Team 95 (18x20)

Power of test string: Very powerful for a poly. I found it more powerful than big ace, which is a powerful poly. The power was fine on spin shots, but when I flattened it out, the ball tended to fly long.

Feel: I liked the feel of this one a lot. It had what I call 'cupping' crispness. It was soft and cupped the ball, but not muted or plasticky like other polys as you could still feel the ball through the crispness.

Spin: Definitely more spin than my regular setup; one of the spinniest strings I have tried.

Comfort: Very good for a poly. Even when it lost tension it felt soft.

Durability: This string was not as durable as Big Ace, which is not surprising since it is twisted and textured. It lasted me 10 hours.

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time): It remained pretty stable until the last hour where it became really springy.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): Control was fine when I was hitting spinny forehands, but other parts of my game suffered. My backhand which is pretty flat, was going out a lot. I also had to spin my serves in because my flat serve kept going long. Slices were fine, but drop volleys sat up a little bit. Near the end of the string life I really had to be careful or every shot would go out.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?): I would string it maybe two pounds higher, at 58, so flat shots would have better control.

Compare to the string you use most often: This had more spin and power than big ace, but at the expense of control and durability. The feel with this was similar to Big Ace, maybe a bit crisper because of shape. I think I could play with either string and do well, but I prefer to hit flatter and through the court more so Big Ace is probably better for my style. If I were a loopy heavy topspin player, I would probably use Cyclone Tour. But my only spinny shot is my forehand.

If you have played with the original Cyclone, please compare.: I have not played with the original Cyclone.

Thanks TW & Volkl for this playtest. I enjoyed it a lot!