View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
rkelley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Pegger View Post
Hello, I am a fairly new poster here. I am trying to achieve a forehand stroke with heavier spin than what I have now: what I think is MOSTLY eastern. I line the 'V' created by the right hand thumb and index finger with bevel 2(first right bevel). I hit mostly hard flat shots but in an attempt to move towards a more singles-minded consistent game I want to get more spin. Would switching to a full semi-western really help me get more spin. Or can an eastern forehand with a windshield-wiper finish be enough? Any help, tips, etc. would be appreciated.
An E. grip with a WW swing path (don't think finish, think swing path) can get a ton of top spin. The WW motion at contact will come mostly from pronation of the wrist, while folks that use a mostly W. grip get a fair amount of WW motion from upper arm rotation. For that E. grip upper arm rotation is important to decelerating the racquet and making sure that you don't twist you wrist over too far.

I use a strong E. grip, almost SW. I'm always thinking about swing the racquet up to get the top spin. Because of my grip I never have a problem hitting through the ball. I little leg bend and getting your outside leg behind the ball (semi-open stance) can go a long way to generating good topspin.

You may find that your grip naturally moves a bit more W than it is now. Mine did.
rkelley is offline   Reply With Quote