View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #50
-Kap-
Rookie

yonexRx32, there have been a lot of informative posts in this thread, and I don't want to derail it with our chatter back and forth, so I'll keep this short, and hopefully sweet.

D3O is proprietary, high-priced silly putty. It easily deforms under low stresses, and stiffens under high sheer forces. With silly putty, you can mush it with just a fingertip, but roll it into a ball and it'll bounce with minimal deformation. Throw that ball hard enough, and it'll crack as if it was solid. It's not magic or propaganda; it's viscosity and physics.

When a poster here is fortunate enough to have some "inside information" and/or share personal experience that most of us are not privy to, like being able to demo a prototype racquet, or in this case, getting hands-on experience (pun intended) with an interesting material, I welcome that and think it should be encouraged. This doesn't make him/her an authority figure by any means, but by the same token, it doesn't automatically make him/her a shill for the racquet manufacturers.

Finally, I agree with a lot of your cynicism when it comes to marketing and bogus claims, as marketers' main purpose is to give you a perceived value, which is how they sell their products or services. How much <insert latest revolutionary material> is actually in this new racquet, and does it even make a difference? Who knows? They throw a miniscule glob of pig fat into a can, and suddenly it's no longer "Baked Beans" but "Pork and Beans". Whee!

For what it's worth, my racquets are old-school 100% graphite, with no "technologies" to speak of, and I think they're amazing. Out of curiosity, have you used any "technologies" that you felt made a difference?
-Kap- is offline   Reply With Quote