Thread: Video redux
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
OneTennisParent
New User

Default Video redux

The last thread on this topic was co-opted by a revisit of some previous inappropriate discussion. I would like to bring it back to the question at hand i.e. how to get the USTA to integrate language into the CODE, that will allow well-meaning participants to video their own player.

I understand the worry about predators, and it's valid. However, simply stating that a parent, or coach may video their own player's match would allow us to improve our players, and maybe even acquire some keepsakes of our kids for our senior years. It does not open the door to allowing *******s to do what they want.

I video every match I am allowed, but only keep the ones that have some value. If my daughter plays exceptionally well, or poorly, I will have her review it. The really good performances I keep, and the poor ones she watches herself to analyze what went wrong. It is also nice to be able to hand her coach a disk of the match when he's not there. I can't afford to bring him along, so this fills in that gap.

Every other sport allows videotaping of the event, and no objection is given even cursory thought. If a parent of a football, or soccer player objected to their child being videotaped, could you imagine all video recording being stopped? Would they make a PA announcement to everyone in attendance telling them to put away their cameras and cell phones? Of course not. The only issue is when video is disseminated. When used for personal analysis, there is no right to privacy, and in an organized sporting event there is no expectation of privacy for participants.

If the question is regarding acquisition of the image of a player without the parent's consent, it's already addressed as well. There is no law on the books to prevent video of minors unless you identify them, use it to defame, or otherwise denigrate the child. I would point to the practice of taking snapshots. Pictures taken at group events, for personal use, are considered Public Domain, and no one in the background has any say over their acquisition. My intent is to videotape my daughter, not the opponent. That her opponent is in the frame is incidental, and not grounds for refusing me the right to videotape the match.

There are already laws on the books to prevent inappropriate use of any images. If someone steps outside those bounds, there are legal ramifications.

I again point to the USTA's edict that no one may play a National Championship unless they sign away all their image rights to the USTA and the facility. The legal framework already exists. Simply put a paragraph on the sign-up page stating that parents and coaches may videotape their own player's match, and it's done. If you don't want to participate in this voluntary event, you don't have to.

Again I implore the readers of this board to seek out a lawyer, friendly to tennis, who will file a complaint with the USTA on our behalf. All it would take is the threat of a first amendment violation suit, and they will cave. They fear the threat of the complainers, not those of us who just want what's best for our players.

And yes, I have already asked all my lawyer friends. They don't have experience in that area of law, and I can't expect them to put in the time, for free, to learn it. Ideally it will be a lawyer who has filed similar suits, and has a template to allow a fill-in-the-blanks filing.