View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #26
gplracer
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by andfor View Post
It's not always the parents fault. Kids have to learn to call the balls on their own. I've seen parents in a rage about their kid getting cheated on lines many times. But the funny thing is the kids playing never question, fight each other about it or go get a line judge. Calling the lines from the side line for the most part is OFTEN not the best angle. Kids just need to learn to get a line judge using the age old system, question the first one, get a line judge on the second one.

If parents want to get a line judge on their kid, you have to be careful about that. It could be construed as coaching. Like it or not, if a parent did that to my kids match I wouldn't allow it. Whose to say that the parent calling the line judge on his own kid knows that when the line judges walks on the court his kid settles down?

I've also seen parents pull their kid for bad behavior, like this is some sort of noble gesture. Another funny thing, I've only seen the kid pull when they were losing. Everyone knows it was to keep the kid from taking a legitimate loss.

The USTA already has a penalty system for rule violators who get code violations.

I've literally watched hunderends of matches over the last 6 yrs. not just my kids but many others at local, sectional and national level events. I see very good line calling over and over. Reports of increased cheating amoung USTA juniors is greatly exaggerated.
I have watched hundreds of matches too of just my kids. I do agree with a lot that you have said. For the most part I have only seen really bad cheating a few times. Usually it is when it is deuce at 4-5 and the next two shots are called out or during the tie breaker. I told my son if you have to have a line judge then always call that person back for the tiebreaker. Most of the time I want him to try to give the opponent the benefit of the doubt and assume the shots are being called correctly.

But there are those players who are known for cheating. It happens over and over again. I feel it is the parents fault in those cases because they know it is going on and they let it happen. My older son says that that large percentage of the better players he plays cheat. He says if it is an important point in a close match and lands close to the line it will be called out. He said they only do it in those cases. I tend to disagree with him about this but he believes it. I just think the system could treat cheating and missed calls more harshly. I would rather have my kids miss a call and play it as good rather than out. There are many other kids out there who do not share that belief.

Last edited by gplracer : 01-02-2013 at 03:47 PM.