Thread: Video redux
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
OneTennisParent
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
Video taping was allowed in Super Nationals. A parent taped the match between his and my sons at the winter national. I asked him if I could get a copy of the tape and I was so pleased that he emailed me a link to Youtube. I just bought a set of VolleyCam that can be hung on the fence or curtains. A tournament director in our sectional event did not allow me do so. But I have seen taping from the upstairs. I did once myself using my cell phone to capture bad line calls. The parent complained about taping after the match. The tournament director requested that I promise not to post it on any social media.
I was just at the Winter Nationals, and a ref told me I could not tape unless I first secured permission from the opponent, her parents, and the facility. Match was starting so this was not remotely possible. I sought out the head ref who said "You can hang your camera, but must take it down if anyone objects." which is the rule with which I am familiar. I also asked if there is any written policy from the USTA, and he said no. So... if the USTA hasn't put anything in the code, what exactly are the refs enforcing? I tried this rationale in the past, and was instantly threatened with a code violation against my player if I didn't immediately comply with the refs arbitrary ruling.

BowTiesAreCool is absolutely correct. Images (still or video) for private use, are not protected. The laws apply to use for defamatory purposes or profit. The USTA has no right to force you to allow them to use your image, but preclude you from doing the same.

Also, restricting the video to fence mounted devices would further reduce predators. There is nothing sexy about a full court view from 20-60 feet away. The closer player even has his/her back to you 99% of the time. If I didn't already know the players involved, I couldn't pick them out of a lineup.