Thread: Video redux
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
OneTennisParent
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis5 View Post
My understanding is that the USTA is allowed to video tape, but the parents may not....

And while I disagree with almost everything about the USTA,
the rationale is that most parents don't want other folks videotaping their kids for internet security reasons.

You state - "My intent is to videotape my daughter, not the opponent."

Ok, you are a normal person, but I have been to events ( not tennis) and seen dads videotaping other young teenage girls and I don't think it was to analyze the competition....

(At this point, you can take a face of a young junior and and put it on the body of another person, and then send it around the globe.....)

So, just another parent's thoughts for you to consider and mine are not as tennis related as yours,
I understand, but there is another side to the issue.
I do understand, and always defer to the opponent's parent if they request that I not video. My gripe is with the USTA for not making it clear, and also for denying ALL objections to their own acquisition of images at nationals. You sign your rights away, or don't play.

There have also already been court cases brought against convicted child molesters who take pictures of children with long lens cameras. As long as there is no concurrent violation such as a distance restriction, the predator always wins. As grotesque as that is, there is no law preventing video of anyone as long as it's for personal use.

If the law has already been established, why is the USTA obviating it - except in their own interests? Oh yeah... they make money on those video rights that they force you to waive. You are just a paying member of their organization. Why should they allow you any latitude?

Limiting the permission to video to the player's parent or coach would still allow anyone to question outsiders who seem overly interested. I am not trying to throw the doors open to anyone, just those with a vested interest in the match being played. I invest significant resources to advance my player to her best potential. This is a valuable tool in that process.