View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #410
Tagg
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmk View Post
pretty sure, zagor mentioned in comparison to the far more talented and better players like nalby, rios, mecir, tsonga etc ...

if safin had his head on in that final, he'd have won it ....

actually the courts were faster than usual in 09, but not exceptionally faster ....that actually had him in trouble vs the power-hitting of delpo in the semis

yeah, he has no chance in the 80s with chang, noah winning there ,he couldn't overpower wilander or beat lendl even once there

no chance in the 70s either with kodes/panatta winning there ( borg reached a higher level on clay from 77 onwards, but 74,75,76, while darn good, could still be beaten )

he is #1 or #2 on grass
he is #1 on HC

on clay, I'd say he's definitely outside of the top 5 (nadal,borg,kuerten, lendl,wilander ) ....... but after that not much of a difference b/w the rest - bruguera, courier, fed, muster, vilas, nastase ....
ifs, buts. talent is an undefined abstract, and does not equal success

the truth is that safin was a notorious headcase, who was sublime when he actually bothered to focus. johansson played superb that whole tournament, and was not a fluke

he took his chances, unlike the players you mentioned (tsonga being compared with those three? gave me a good laugh!)

you should re-watch FO 09, it was significantly faster. the courts were drier, and the balls used flew faster in the air. all this benefited federer

he beat del potro in the semi-final because del potro ran out of stream/stamina.

what goes around comes around, and del potro took his chances later that year at the us open

since then he's had a little bit of a match up problem with federer

lendl and wilander are better clay court players than federer in the respective eras they played in

borg and vilas, better on the red stuff than federer, no doubt

it's hard enough comparing the 80s to the 00s. early 70s i think is too far back. it's open era, yes, but compare 1972 to 1982, totally different game

look at federer's early years, that is a glimpse of how he would have played in the 90s

with the exception of hamburg (the low bounce saving federer from having his backhand exposed), i don't see much clay prowess

federer is a fast court player, first and foremost

yet the homogenized, slower surfaces benefited him due to him changing his game

or did he change for the surfaces? that's another debate
Tagg is offline   Reply With Quote