View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #61
sabala
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthofde View Post
it is interesting though how these technological wonders are especially liked, most of the times, only by rec players. i've talked to competitive players, people that made a living out of tennis, some of them just national, some of them top 100 atp and most of them said that these knew technologies are not so special as advertised.
i especially mentioned the D3O because i know from a tennis player that all 6 of his racquets, the first head racquets that had D3O they all broke at the neck. and i mean the head of the racquet broke and flew across the court.
now considering that people have the tendency to exaggerate these things i am inclined to think that it wasn't all six of them. yet there were others that reported the same problem.
and maybe you do not remember the advertising done by the manufacturer when the D3O was first implemented. the words " the racquet will know what kind of shot you need and get more or less stiff accordingly" were thrown around.
i do not say that these technologies do not exist or do not improve a racquet. but IMO they do too little and they are only a revelation for the rec player.
if one of these technologies was a breakthrough all the manufacturers would have jumped on the wagon. like what happened with multi-layered wood frames, aluminum frames and later graphite frames

Prince Vortex had the same thing TWENTY years ago. I worked in a tennis club and the Prince rep dropped off a little Vortex tech display stand thingy.

Basically there was a little ball of the "Vortex space goo" with a mini mallet attached to display stand. You whack the ball with the mallet and it's still a perfect ball but if you slowly press into it, the ball easily deforms ....LIKE MAGIC!!

Also had staggered string pattern "technology" which was supposed to move the ball towards the frame on off centered hits.

Not to mention Dunlop Max200G well before the Vortex ...

Quote:
Rick Perry, Dunlop's Director of Research & Development offers, "the measure of resistance on the Max 200g is based on the rate pressure is applied. When pressure is applied at a slow rate, such as on a Babolat RA or RDC machine, the frame will seem very flexible. During fast swings, though, the frame deflects less and thus, returns more energy to the ball."
sabala is offline   Reply With Quote