View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #46
Chas Tennis
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
As you note in your first (red type) sentence, my upper (serving) arm is more or less aligned with my shoulders. As my serving arm goes up to the point of contact, I've tilted enough to keep the upper arm aligned with the shoulders. Which is what Ellenbecker recommends to minimize the risk of impingement. Which accords with the fact that I've never had any shoulder problems.

But yes my (serving) elbow is somewhat bent. I suppose that if I was able to tilt a little more, then there would be less bend at the elbow at contact (ie., upper and lower arm more aligned, closer to 180 degrees between upper and lower arm).

Apparently the elbow bend is also within acceptable limits because I've never had any elbow problems either.

http://www.tennisresources.com/index...2&ATT=&reso=hi

Thanks for the video and comments.
You seem to get some very good serves.

"Apparently the elbow bend is also within acceptable limits because I've never had any elbow problems either."

Your technique is different than the high level serves.

I will say that I was using a slightly similar arm arrangement - straight upper arm and ~90 elbow flexion to try and add pace to my volley (the line between the shoulders was about parallel to the ground). I used very forceful internal shoulder rotation. In just a few volleys I tore the tendon associated with Golfer's Elbow. Played on it some days later and tore it farther with a burst of pain. However, the moment of inertia of my forearm and racket was much greater with the elbow bent at 90 than your serving technique with a small angle between the upper arm and the forearm-racket. Much more stress on my ill-advised technique. I would stay aware of stressing your tendon where the GE injury occurs. Stop immediately if you get an acute injury. If you feel any discomfort at the GE location reconsider changing your particular bent arm technique.

Last edited by Chas Tennis : 01-03-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Chas Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote