View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #47
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Tennis View Post
I will say that I was using a slightly similar arm arrangement - straight upper arm and ~90 elbow flexion to try and add pace to my volley (the line between the shoulders was about parallel to the ground).
Not that similar to my arm arrangement at contact (which is upper arm within ~ 10 degrees of alignment with the shoulders, and lower arm within ~ 15 degrees of alignment with the upper arm -- a much smaller angle than the ~ 90 degree elbow flexion you were experimenting with, as you note below).

Quote:
I used very forceful internal shoulder rotation. In just a few volleys I tore the tendon associated with Golfer's Elbow. Played on it some days later and tore it farther with a burst of pain. However, the moment of inertia of my forearm and racket was much greater with the elbow bent at 90 than your serving technique with a small angle between the upper arm and the forearm-racket. Much more stress on my ill-advised technique.
No doubt. Thanks for mentioning this, because prior to reading this (and watching the Ellenbecker vid) I was actually thinking about experimenting as you did (increased elbow flexion to impart greater force at contact ... but with the serve, not the volley).

Sorry if this discussion has been a slight bit off-topic, but I'm thankful for it because it has probably prevented me from injuring my arm.

Quote:
I would stay aware of stressing your tendon where the GE injury occurs. Stop immediately if you get an acute injury. If you feel any discomfort at the GE location reconsider changing your particular bent arm technique.
For sure. But, as noted above, my arm really isn't very bent at contact. The motion doesn't seem to stress the shoulder or elbow at all. It seems I've found a happy medium between effectiveness (for, say, 3.0 to 4.0 level) and risk of injury.