View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #49
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Tennis View Post
When I look at your first video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T6PIuxavp8

At 14 sec, around impact, which is hard to see, I would say that the angle between your forearm and your upper arm is much larger than 15, guessing roughly 40. Also, your upper arm may have a more forward angle to it relative to the line between the shoulders.
Yes, I think this is much closer than my original guess. But I think that contact is happening during the 15 sec interval. The angle between forearm and upper arm is continually decreasing during the swing, and I now guess it to be between 30 and 40 degrees, which, apparently, is producing no inordinate stress on anything.

Quote:
Keep in mind also that the camera is showing you a 2D projection of the 3D space so things can be deceptive, especially shortened, etc.. What camera and frame rate were you using and can you set a faster shutter?
Sony Cybershot, 30 fps is the max I think. Yeah, better camera and multiple perspectives would be good.

Quote:
Anyhow, some serving technique observations for you to research.
Thanks Chas Tennis.

And returning to your OP, I was a little worried that I might be doing a waiter's tray position on some serves, but apparently it's fleeting enough when it happens that it's not a problem. I guess it might be a problem if I had a more modern style serving motion, but I doubt that I'll ever be able to do a good modern style serving motion.