View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #26
COPEY
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim e View Post
the older sets of VS gut from Babolat which was commented as the same as Wilsons as someone posted when Wilsons Nat gut 1st came out it had Babolat touch printed on it, So the older sets of vs the non bt7 that is on the 16g. it lists the max. recommended as 70 lbs, so the 17 g. should be a lower recommended tension, and it does state recommended so you can go to what you want, but just may not like the resulting things that can happen. So the 16g. on the package has recommended tension range of 53-70 lbs.This is 16g. and only a recommended tension range, you can do as you please, its your equipment.

Sampras has VS 17g. strung to 75lbs. mains and crosses, as that was his choice, so you see it can be done, but its your choice if you want to exceed what is recommended.

Personally I think you're making an issue out of something that isn't an issue...and I assure you, I don't mean that as an insult. The guy from Wilson gave you the "company" answer, which is what he's supposed to do. His delivery may be questionable, but no one can come back on him and say, "Well so & so said you can string the gut at 75 with no problem" after they crack their frame or snap the gut during stringing...both of which may or may not have anything to do with stringing it at 75.

I think Jim's answer was right on the money, the bold part in particular, but you're obviously searching for something else. I would've been surprised if they told you the max recommended tension is somewhere in the 75 - 80 range, but even if they did, when you push anything toward the upper limits of it's max range - especially over a sustained period of time - you're increasing the likelihood of a shorter lifespan.

If you like your stick at 70, then string at 70, but accept the inherent risks associated with stringing at a tension that is certainly not the norm for most players.