View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #39
andfor
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ismom View Post
Sorry OP for getting off topic.
I watched most of that QF Brisbane. Sloan put on a good show and it was a close match. She lost 4 and 3. Serena had to work hard for each point if she didn't ace or earned it easily from serves. She yelled loud c'mon and put her fist pump in Sloan 's face several times. I think it is unnecessary and agreed it was disrespectful.
She could have put the fist pump the other way and not yelling that loud. Remember she created a hindrance for Stosur because of the loud comm before.

The dynamics....Serena is 12 years older, multi GS winners and Sloan had nothing to lose that match. Serena acted like she was for fear of losing. She looked like she bullied this younger player (they're friends and she's Sloan's mentor). It worked and Sloan played shaky when she complained about disrespectful.
Serena tried to lighten things up at the end, like she always did after her misbehavior, saying Sloan played well and has great potential to be a GS champion.
You're spot on about the fist pumps and com'ons. Serena doesn't need to do it. But she does. Respectfully, you're dead wrong about Serena having nothing to lose. She's clearly expected to win on every level. Sloan should have not said anything about the fist pumps. Keep it to herself and within her camp and use it as motivation. Sloan has exposed a weakness to being bothered by antics that should not bother a pro. You think other pros won't try to bother her in future matches? This is the pros, it's a job not the Juniors. Pros will probe for weaknesses and they all are not just physical, the mental game is part of it. If she's going to take it personal her road to excellence will only be longer.

I don't agree with any of Serena's antics over the years. All I'm saying here is just because Sloan and Serena are friends and Americans does not mean that Serena is not going to go any easier on her in a real match. As a matter of fact Sloan should ber thankful for the beating, acknowledge she was bothered by something that should not bother her, be proud of her own effort, learn from this to be tougher going forward.

Last edited by andfor : 01-05-2013 at 07:15 AM.