View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #89
andfor
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC9670 View Post
I wonder if it's intentional or mimicking what they see on TV and just do it all the time. Some of the younger kids I've seen seem to be just copying their idols and don't know when to apply self-motivation. But I've also seen more savvy kids doing it to get to the other player. I know of one kid who, upon his opponent hitting a first serve into the net, yells "fault"! At first I thought it was kind of funny, but after an entire match of it... not so much.
Excessive com'ons and fist pumping is often prevalent among the 12-14's and for the majority of kids decreases over time, with maturity. I know, there's exceptions, also it can be used inappropriately as gamesmanship.

Point is, if Sloan Steven's expresses that Serena Williams did it excessively in a pro match does not mean anything other than she allowed herself to be distracted. Gamesmanship only works if the person who the gamesmanship is directed to allows it. In the pro game telling the public another pro excessively fist pumped and said com'on? Really. Sloan Stevens should be embarrassed she said that to the media. Other pros are likely salivating to play her now. Time to grow up.