View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #496
The Big Kahuna
Semi-Pro

Smasher, I am curious to know if you've tried any other mains in this hybrid other than Pacific Classic 1.25 it's that you really thought was comparable? As it is been raining a lot here and the gut is very sensitive to moisture I was tempted recently to try some multifilament see how they might perform in the place of Pacific

I tried The top-rated multifilament string on stringform.com based on over 30 playtest by professionals and was very pleasantly surprised to find that it was very comparable in terms of performance. The string, Weiss CANNON 6 Star Supercharged 16 (1.30) Played very much like Pacific Classic in many ways with perhaps a 10% drop off in performance in the areas of spin, comfort, feel, and power. That said the price of the string is about $10 as opposed to Pacific Classic's $30.

It also seems to hold its tension as well so far as good, although I would think that that would not be the case over time. Have you been tempted to switch to a high-performance multifilament as opposed to the natural gut for the cost savings versus performance obtained through the extra expense? Curious to know your thinking of late.