Thread: get certified!
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #35
COPEY
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortun8son View Post
BTW. Knowing how to play or teach winning tennis does not qualify one to be a good racquet tech, either.
I have to say I agree. It's one thing to have first-hand experience, and quite another to be able to explain the different types of strings, their playing charactics, and how different strings may respond in different types of racquets, etc. For the latter you definitely don't need to know how to play the game. I think it doesn't hurt to couple a sound knowledge base with actual playing experience, but I certainly don't think it's necessary to be an effective salesman/MRT. Some things are just general info that anyone who's spent any length of time studying/hanging around string enthusiast will pick up. Stuff that's not necessarily opinion based, such as X1 is generally considered a powerful multi, SPPP holds tension very well, Mantis Comfort Syn has a very soft feel, good control, but not durable, etc. That's just a meager sampling, but hopefully you get the idea.

I have a friend who can tell you just about anything and everything there is to know about car engines, and I'm talking from engines made back in the Model T days to present day - he's never worked on a car in his life lol. He's just a...well, he's weird, but also extremely highly intelligent, and engines just happens to be his thing. He would definitely be able to supplement his knowledge if he had actual maintenance experience, but nonetheless, he's an extremely knowledgeable guy when it comes to car engines.