View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
*Val*
Semi-Pro

P.S sorry for the absurdly long post kinda needed to get that all out.

Yeah you're right, I guess I'm really self-conscious about how others perceive me (I was the same with football) and kinda hate the prospect of being the kinda 'clown' of the group since I do actually take it seriously and always look to improve. My response in football was always to just put more effort and miles in to the point where I was always the best or among the best in the team, but progression in tennis is really not so straight forward. I guess in tennis if you lose, most times you can only blame yourself; in the case of the doubles matches I always feel to blame and in singles, well there is no one else to blame. When you lose in a team sport like football it's often just a lack of team effort or the opposing side were too good, it's much easier to pick yourself and play again, and easier to play through losses IMO.

But I guess that's why tennis is such a mental sport, there are no headcases in the top 4!

But yeh I'll probably look for some other people to play with in the off season, though it might involve going back outdoors during winter. Though I'm worried that this will make me look like a quitter, and confirm the notion that I'm a bad player. Personally I'd like to keep going just to show I'm not afraid of playing with them and am determined to get better but I'm worried it'll simply frustrate my efforts to improve. I can't learn to win until I can actually beat the players ! - doesn't help that it's almost always doubles because I feel like I can't gauge my level and progression from it, too much standing around the net having balls blasted at/past you. There was a period early last year when I was practicing a fair bit in singles with one of the team captains from the same club (I think I was given this privilege because I'd known him for quite a while since he lived near me, he invited me to play) and though he would pretty much always beat me, I could take him to like 6-4 in a set and so on and I was really pleased with my progress. That's when I felt I had hit some form, hitting balls over and over and over in singles really made for good practice.

Last edited by *Val* : 01-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.
*Val* is offline   Reply With Quote