View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
krosero
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
Interesting how in the 1988 US Open Lendl was deemed to be more aggressive but I understand that's a part of his more powerful stroking style. We often (not me by the way)relate aggressive play to rushes to the net. If I recall Wilander rushed the net far more often. Another question does occur to me, net rushes often forces passing shots errors, can we statistically take this into account?
You know, that's my favorite match, yet in all this talk about aggressive play I had actually forgotten about Wilander's net rushes. We typically think of aggression as hitting winners, but in past eras "aggressive" meant rushing the net! Absolutely right.

Wilander had, I think, 131 approaches, Lendl 77. Lendl was aggressive, too, by that measure -- more than most players today. But Wilander was twice as willing to come forward.

That was part of the reason that Lendl hit so many more winners: Wilander forced him to hit a ton of passing shots.

You ask if we can take passing shot errors into account. Rushing the net and forcing your opponent into errors is certainly an aggressive play. The AM, strictly speaking, does not count net rushes, so it doesn't award players just for rushing the net. But the statisticians scoring the match, when they see a player make an error while attempting a passing shot, will score the error as forced. So when you calculate the Aggressive Margin, his opponent will be rewarded for forcing all those errors.

For AM purposes it doesn't matter whether a player was aggressive by rushing the net or by doing something else, like hitting a powerful forehand from the opposite baseline. As long as the resulting error is scored as forced, the player is rewarded and will generate a higher Aggressive Margin.
krosero is offline   Reply With Quote