View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #21
yonexRx32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknobman View Post
LOL yonex.

So Wilsons thought was making a less dense string pattern and using a polyester string would allow the string to move even more. Since the string could move more it would impart more spin on the ball because it snapped back more.

You can go watch Wilsons video explaining it all its too much for me to type here.
Again not saying I am promoting it, I am just explaining Wilsons reasoning for it.
Hi cknobman,
Polys have been around for many years and at least during the past 5-6 years have been very popular. Wilson did not discover how the polys work. Everybody notticed they snap back in place. Also, everyone knew that less dense string patterns promote spin. Therefore there is really nothing new here. Snauwaert had a 12mx13c racket 30 years ago. There is a company out there that has marketed rackets with very similar (14mx16c) specs for years. That's why I suspect some of the WOW factor is disingenuous.

Not saying that you are promoting it, but there is definitely a concerted effort on these boards to promote these rackets. Given the number of discussions and how they are initiated (eg. do you think Nadal will try it?) it lis likely that either the manufacturer or the distributors have enlisted people to bombard the boards with the message that this is somehow earth shattering technology. 12 months from now these new rackets will sell for pennies on the dollar on auction sites when the general public will notice that
a) Nadal doesn't use them, Federer doesn't use them, no pro will use them
(a simple paint job won't hide the string bed)
b) run of the mill players can't use them because the wrist action required to produce the lift and spin necessary to keep the ball in the court is not included in the price tag.
c) anybody can string an 18x20 racket to 14x16 or even 14x12 if he/she wishes to do so.
yonexRx32 is offline   Reply With Quote