Thread: get certified!
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #55
mad dog1
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten11 View Post
I have replaced grommet/bump guard for radical mp(prestige cap), pt280, pure/aero drive, TF 320 and mg extreme mp. I had trouble with the cap in the beginning when I try to force it and mushroomed it.(~25-30min.) Last one I did a month ago was easy and perfect.(~10 min.) The key is patience.
TT member has been crying about babolat but I found it is quite easy in both cases(pure/aero drive). Again, patience. (~10 min.)
Head mg extreme mp is the easiest of all. fun to put on.(< 10 min.) TF got a bit trouble but in 15 min.
In all cases, I never used any method to heat/soften the bump guard. YUlite's video explains all and will work.

I will not try that. I always used 21 feet for 18x20, even for 95 sq in. PSL. IMHO, it is not worth it to challenge myself for one more thing. (What if the syn gut is not that stretchy?!)
i don't find CAPs to be hard to install. i haven't had much trouble with babolat grommets either. try replacing the PT280 grommets with YT radical MP grommets. this one took time, elbow grease and the heat gun w/ plenty of curse words in between to get the bumper guard holes lined up w/ the drilled holes in the racquet. i think it was the tongue lashing i gave the bumper guard that was the most effective.

as L4L mentioned, the POG grommets are the easiest to replace. they were made to drop right in. i was even able to do one w/o using an awl.

well if they only allow you 19.5' of syn gut to use, then i guess you'd have to use that length. up to you if you want to string a 14x18 or 16x19 instead of a 18x20. all syn gut i've strung is very elastic. 19.5' of poly for a 18x20 MP stick would be cutting it really tight. might only leave you with a 9" tail or shorter to use to tie off.

Last edited by mad dog1 : 01-07-2013 at 03:16 PM.
mad dog1 is offline   Reply With Quote