View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
kaiser
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pneumated1 View Post
I hit modified Becker Londons and demoed the Gold 99 today. The transition was seamless, and I mean to the point that I had a hard time going back to my own frame. I find that it sits somewhere between my London and a C-10 Pro. The weight is in the handle, throat, and low in the shoulders. The hoop is flexible, forgiving, and loaded with feel. I got a lot of bite off the stringbed, and while I wouldn't call it crisp, control is at a premium. And the grip shape is absolutely perfect----a touch more square than Dunlop.

You mention a buttery feel . . . spread a little Gold 99, and your tennis palate will thank you. I can't imagine a frame that would work better for me, personally, and I don't think that I'd customize it hardly at all, and that's rare for me. I might be sold.

I find it more forgiving than even my Londons. The frame just glides through the air. Donnay, imo, has created the perfect balance of specs here in this frame. It may not bludgeon the ball like your Tours, but with the flex, feel, maneuverability, stability, and even forgiveness of the frame, you can work the ball at will, whatever the situation may call for. This frame's a sleeper, and I can only conclude that that is the case because old-school, flexy frames are not in demand.
Thanks man, you've got me salivating at this one...
I still really like my Tours, when I'm in the groove and loose and swing relaxed it is sheer joy to hit with them. However, I am concerned that they may be limiting my max swingspeed, and started thinking I may benefit from a more forgiving stick when I'm tight in a match. I already liked the specs on the Gold 99 and it gets a very positive review from Chris and Spencer at TW. Pity it is so much more expensive in Europe than in the US...