View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
sureshs
Bionic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnelarsen View Post
What is the better choice for a 60-75 year old tennis player who wants to compete in senior tournaments - a one-handed or a two-handed backhand? I have seen several of these discussions for younger players, but such answers cannot be transferred to older players, since it is another game when you are past 60. I know that almost all of the best 60+ players of today have one-handed backhands, and I wonder what the reason is. The two-handed backhand has been popular since Connors, Evert and Borg broke through in the start of the 70s and a lot of young persons copied their backhands at that time. However, the vast majority of the better players in their 50s, which I run into, have one-handed backhands, although the two-handed backhand was about equally popular when they learned to play tennis. Being 51 myself, I wonder if I should prepare myself to switch to a one-handed backhand in the near future?

Best

Arne
Why majority of older players have 1 handed backhands is quite clear - the one hander was the choice of most pros when they started playing, even though there were well-known 2 handers as you point out.

What you really need to find out is if there is someone on the Senior or Champions tour who switched from a 2 hander to a 1 hander. I believe there is one former 2 hander pro who now hits predominantly 1 handers on the senior circuit, though I can't recall offhand who he is.

Also, the 1 hander is very suitable for lazy people so I suppose that is a plus point with seniors.
sureshs is offline   Reply With Quote