View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #588
BigServer1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
I'm not so sure ND's arse-chewing last night won't hurt recruiting. They may have been better off with a close regular season loss and maybe play a tighter game against a lesser opponent in a lesser BCS bowl. Bama was a dog and ND was the rag doll in it's mouth. ND thought they had a plan but like Mike Tyson used to say, "Everyone has a plan against me until they get hit". The Irish were outclassed in every area of the game. I believe one of the announcers said the SEC's average margin of victory in BCS championship games was 34-17. But like Big just mentioned, I think Bama could have scored 1-2 more times if they wanted. It's funny, because Brian Kelly looked like he'd been hit during the halftime interview...he knew it was over and wanted to throw in the towel.

By the way, I think we all know Dedan's day job now...professional bookie.
Yeah ND's plan sucked, if they had one at all. So much talk about Brian Kelly being "one of the best coaches in college football" and how he's in that upper echelon of coaches...I just don't buy it. He's done a nice job at ND to get them winning games, but he isn't in the same league as Saban, not even close.

The bolded part is just wild. The fact that this league hasn't just been winning these title games, they've largely been dominating them. If anything, it makes me feel a hell of a lot better about Oregon losing 22-19 on a last second Auburn FG in the 2011 Title game.

I agree with the idea that this could hurt recruiting, but I don't think it matters either way. I feel like every year you've got ND in the top 5-10 of recruiting classes and yet they can't win a big game. I remember Charlie Weis was a "recruiting master", and he brought in so many blue chippers, people started talking national titles (sigh). We all know how that turned out.

What I don't understand is how teams like ND, Michigan, FSU and others always get top classes, but it doesn't translate to wins in big games, or in some cases (like Texas these last few years) poor seasons overall. It can't all be about coaching...Can it?
BigServer1 is offline   Reply With Quote