View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #77
v-verb
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
I agree 100% with your post.

New racquets keep getting worse and worse. The newer racquets use less graphite, worse quality graphite, and are hollow and tinny, all to increase profit margins. That's why racquet companies can continue to sell graphite racquets for about the same price as 35 years ago despite all the inflation over all those years. The older racquets feel so much more solid because they used much more and higher quality graphite and so didn't feel hollow and tinny like today's new racquets do.
I was wondering about the low prices today compared to the 70's and 80's when "good" racquets were frequently over $200 and up way back then - thanks for clearing that up for me! To me it seems like am amazing deal to get top shelf racquets for $150-$200.

That said Ive been playing POGs and Borons made in the 80s since my wrist injury as I can't play the light, hollow racquets that proliferate these days.

Looking forward to my Donnay X-Platinums which seem to be very old school in that they are relatively heavy and not hollow.
v-verb is offline   Reply With Quote