View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #163
zagor
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90's Clay View Post
I may have had Borg above Sampras.. if he didn't retire at 25.
Who cares when he retired? It's about what he achieved in the time he spent on tour, I mean you don't hold Agassi in higher regard than Sampras because he retired 4+ years after?

Quote:
But overall Sampras has a better resume then Borg. Whats Borg got thats superior to Pete other then clay?
Much better performance in his weakest slam (4 finals compared to one SF), greater dominance over the field (by all accounts had better winning percentage in his best years than Sampras, won 3 slams without losing a set etc.), 5 Wimbledons in a row (was considered to be one of his most important achievements at the time).

All achieved in a much tougher era of course which amplifies Borg's achievements compared to Pete's.

Quote:
Winning Percentage? Hell when you retire at 25, I would hope you had a great winning percentage. LOL
Actually when you compare winning percentages in their best years, Borg comes out on top.

Quote:
Sampras has him at longevity
Sampras won atleast one slam 8 years in a row, Borg did so for 7 years, negligable difference.

Quote:
top at #1, Slam count
Tsk, tsk, as I said we have to take circumstances into consideration.

Quote:
more dominance at his best slam
Debatable.

Quote:
better on more surfaces
Also debatable, especially considering how Borg wasn't as bad on any surface as Sampras was on clay.

Quote:
winning h2h over his main contemporary rivals (Borg couldn't figure Mac out though its not as bad as Roger's issues with Nadal overall of course)
Ehm, Sampras played his main rivals almost exclusively on his prefered surface as a consequence of him being a non-factor (for tennis great standards of course) on clay, Borg never faced Mac at the FO (luckily for Mac he didn't).

Quote:
Slam win 12 years apart which is insane.
Trivia, not to mention how weak the field was in 2002 by your own admission.
zagor is offline   Reply With Quote