View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #17
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzamilan90 View Post
Hmmm the more I learn about Rosewall, the stronger he seems. Definitely underrated.
That's why we cannot automatically assume the best players of all time are always playing in the present. People make that assumption all the time. Yes it could be true but I'm always of the opinion that the odds are the perhaps the greatest player of all time already has played regardless of the sport or just about anything to be honest. My logic is that in the history of tennis there have been so many greats that outnumber the very few great players in recent years that the odds favor the past.

forzamilan90,

You are discovering what I enjoy about reading and learning about past players. You often uncover information that surprises you and interests you. Rosewall is a player I often compare to the great former World Chess Champion of the 1920's Jose Capablanca who is considered even to this day perhaps the greatest and most gifted chess player of all time. Capablanca played a crystal clear chess style. It's was smooth elegant and but the moves just didn't seem often spectacular. A sort of a joke comment was made about Capablanca's games in that he played easy obvious moves that anyone could see. And yet when the game ended with another victory for Capablanca they would "How did he do it?!"

Rosewall has super footwork, great anticipation and he was a great mover. He was a terrific volleyer with super groundies. It was maximum efficiency with minimum effort. He didn't always hit the mind boggling shots (he did hit his share however) like Laver did but often he was more effective. Rosewall's movement was so great that he was on balance to hit shots that others, even very quick players would have to rush to hit well.

Here's a video of an old Rosewall against the great Tony Roche in the finals of the 1970 US Open.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJubuKDN7Fk

Last edited by pc1 : 01-09-2013 at 05:43 PM.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote