View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #23
BobbyOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
It wasn't played that often on wood indoors. They played also on indoor canvas during the head to head tours. In fact Kramer used to transport an indoor canvas from tournament to tournament to have it laid down on the area where they would play in previous years. Remember I'm talking about the head to head tours also and not just the tournaments. They played often on hard court, clay and grass also. I would say the clay, grass and hard court were actually the most common. Wood of course would be played on occasionally, particularly at Wembley. A great feat of Rosewall was that he would win the French Pro on red clay and the next week play and win Wembley on wood, perhaps the fastest of all surfaces. This is perhaps superior to Borg winning on red clay at the French and a few weeks later winning at Wimbledon on grass.
pc1, I'm very glad you mention Rosewall's great feat at the French Pro (on clay)and Wembley which he won three years in a row (1960s to 1962). He actually had only one or two days for travelling from Paris to London and to adapt his game from the slowest surface to the (probably) fastest one. All these tournaments had 16 strong participants. Yes, I rate this run as a greater one than even Borg's famous run because Borg had two full weeks to transform his game from clay to grass.

Alone with this achievement Rosewall is for me a GOAT contender.

It's a shame that this probably greatest feat of Rosewall is almost unknown. Therefore a great Thank you to you, pc1.

Last edited by BobbyOne : 01-10-2013 at 07:25 AM.
BobbyOne is offline   Reply With Quote