View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #20
arnelarsen
New User

Thanks for the many replies - there are some really good insights among these. In fact the reason for my question is that in my teens and early 20s I used a one-handed backhand (topspin), after which I took a break from tennis for more than 20 years. When I picked up tennis again a few years ago, I decided to learn a two-handed backhand, since I always felt that my one-handed backhand produced too many errors. The latest years I have been switching back and forth between the one-handed and two-handed topspin backhand, although mostly using a two-hander. My two-handed backhand is much more stable and accurate, but on the other hand, I feel my slice and volleys become worse in the periods of using the two-hander. I don't like that, since my volleys are normally one of my biggest strengths (I am 6'4). At the moment I can beat some players (in their 20s and 30s) when using a two-hander, who I lose to when using a one-hander. If I slice, they hit winners or make me run more than I like (I mostly play on red clay), and if I use a one-handed topspin backhand, I make many errors when under pressure. On the other hand, the way I am hitting my groundstrokes at the moment (lots of pace and spin), will not be possible in some years, in fact, I can already feel it being a bit too hard on my body (especially my back, right shoulder and wrist). As mentioned, I would like to compete in senior tournaments the next 20 years (I am 51 now) and I would rather prepare myself now than later. The options I consider at the moment are:
1) As now, use my two-hander for almost all backhand strokes (accepting my slice and volleys get worse)
2) Improve my slice backhand by using it for almost all backhand shots except passing shots, where I would use a one-handed topspin backhand
3) Improve my slice backhand by using it for almost all shots except returns and passing shots, where I would use a two-hander

Best

Arne
arnelarsen is offline   Reply With Quote