View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
10isfreak
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeytennis View Post
i think it is not hitting the ball on the sweetspot.
either completely missing the ball or frameshots.

all these miss hits can be prevented from simply watching the ball better.
for me, i watch the ball throughout the whole point and watch it spin after it bounces towards me.

the 2nd reason is probably controlling the height of the ball.
once your more aware of how high u want to hit the ball, u will hit less in the net or deep.

3 reason (probably 1 or 2 for some people) is not moving your feet.
just being lazy, and not getting any shots in your strike zone

what are your thoughts?

Well, it's unfortunate because pros hit the very vast majority of their stroke out of the sweet spot -- and they do it constantly and purposely. Virtually all top spin strokes are hit closer to the bottom edge of the frame (that is, closer to the side since the racket is horizontal during groundies).

For the second thing, your swing paths deal with the launching angle. The more vertical you swing -- holding all other things constant --, the greater the increment of the launching angle... The ball does what your racket does, basically -- it moves vertically if you swing vertically (prior contact). It is a problem for some people, but for any player above 3.0 or 3.5, they have swinging habits and can control the ball trajectory rather well.

For the last one, I would agree. It's not necessarily because the playeri s lazy, however. Regardless of the motivation or reason, a player which fails to use proper footwork or that goes through his preparation in a hurry increases incredibly the odds of failing to hit the ball properly. I usually resume the point by saying that players should work hard to bring nice strokes to the ball, trying to hit nearly the same shot all the time. You can bend your knees, run, jump, back up... you can do a lot of things, but you should do all of these things before commiting to altering your swing -- that's the last resort option.
10isfreak is offline   Reply With Quote