View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #423
chico9166

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshs View Post
What is this "path?" Analyze the videos yourself. There is movement towards the intended target before and a little after contact. That is what generates the velocity towards the target. No other way is possible to get the result of forward velocity twice the upward velocity. There has to be momentum build in the direction of intent, and inertia demands that the extension continue a little longer. Tangential shots cannot achieve such forward speeds.

If you are making up your own images and coming to your own conclusions and asking me to disagree or agree, I cannot help with that. In general, I am tired of people arguing with me instead of focusing on Oscar's tips. This is how threads are derailed.

Regarding the slice, it is interesting you asked. By coincidence, I received Tennis Rag yesterday, and there is John Evert (proven coach) explaining how even in the backhand slice, the racket extends towards the target before moving across. 5263 will have a lot to say about it, and it should be interesting, because I also believe that modern slice has more of an across component and would like to hear about the extension part.
Easy, we're just talking here. To create maximum horizontal velocity, a player would use angular momentum, an arc...not straight or towards the target..In the chetah video, can you not see the lag in the racquet head on inside out shots..I think the problem with your tangent argument, is that you are discounting the range of motion of the wrist from completely extended to netruel. This gives a player the ability to hit the ball on a wide array of shot lines, even while swinging on an arc. If the wrist, was welded/immovable than your argument would make sense.

BTW, i'd like to know how John Evert accounts for sidespin on almost all slices. The answer is IMO, an outside in path.

Last edited by chico9166 : 01-10-2013 at 11:33 AM.