View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
rkelley
Hall Of Fame

Of the original list, watching the ball all the way to contact is number one for me. Really focusing on that contact spot and ripping my racquet to that spot - when I do that things go well more often than not.

The feet are the next important thing. Getting set-up in the proper position quickly, not "walking" to my shots is key.

One overarching thing I like to consider is that I work on things I can directly and completely control. I can watch the ball. I may not hit it well but I can force myself to watch it. Likewise with moving my feet, how I set-up, or the swing path the racquet makes. It's true that I may do all of those things right and still miss the shot, but I've done the things that I can do to give myself the best chance of hitting the ball well.

OTOH, I can't directly make the ball go over the net. My mental telepathy sucks. I really can't even make the ball hit the center of the racquet. Those are really outcomes of doing other things correctly. So if I miss, or shank, I try not to worry about it in and of itself. But if I don't watch the ball, or don't move, or don't set-up well, etc., then I try to fix that the next shot.
rkelley is offline   Reply With Quote