View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #444
chico9166

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshs View Post
LOL do you even know what he is talking about? Contributes 4 times to what? You thought speed right? It is starting direction. He is saying the face angle determines the launch angle to a great extent.

Are we talking about the launch angle here? No. You should at least read before you post.

The ball should roughly go perpendicular to the string plane, so the face angle will be the main factor. It is so obvious. We are discussing extension and across movements here.

But this is a great teaching moment.

A short swing from close to the ball is called what? A put.

Is the drive done by bringing the club head close to the ball and then accelerating? Or does the swing start gaining movement from way back over the head on the other side and then explode into the ball? Does the golfer gently find and catch the ball and then accelerate on the drive?

If he does that, he would be putting. In tennis, the ball would not even clear the net.
Huh? What? Ok, so you don't know anything about golf either. I've been a scratch player for 15 years or so, but that means nothing in the world of internet gurus like yourself..Anyway, what they're finding out through trackman (and this runs counter to conventional wisdom) is that the club face at impact is what determines WHERE/ON WHAT LINE the ball starts on. (left to right dispersion) And this is true regardless of WHAT PATH the club is traveling on....inside out, outside in etc....THE PATH of the club is what is responsible for the spin axis, or the curvature of the ball in flight. (fade or draw) EXAMPLE: TOUR PLAYERS: Those that play a fade shot, create a path the produces fade spin WITH the clubface "toed down" or slightly closed at impact, so the ball starts a little left of the target.

Incidently, this whole swing down the target line (extension towards the target) vs in an arc is a topic of debate in the golf world as well. But not really a very good one. Those that teach the game know (through studies and video) that the club is traveling in an arc (to create angular speed). It has to. Swinging a club, or a racquet in an extended down the line manner is slow, stiff, and inefficient.

Arche addressed very well the basic parallel with a tennis stroke, and how the racquet can move in an arc, and yet with hand direct it to different quadrents of the court. And so one gets the benefit of angular speed and the ability to direct the ball (with different amounts of wrist layback) to any part of the court. Having said that, if you wish to run around the court and always direct the racquet/path down the inteded shot line, be my guest. It's terribly inefficient.

Having said that, I'm not discounting different amounts of extension on an arc. There are a multitude of different swing shapes. The underlying isssue, though, is that you need not direct the path/racquet down the intended target line to get it to go there.

P.S Did you even try the "ups" example i gave. And if so, what does that say about the path vs the racquet face.......I'll save you the time..The implications are that the path has very little to do with where the ball starts. It's all racquet face angle at impact.

Last edited by chico9166 : 01-11-2013 at 12:32 AM.